Probate – How we help when someone dies.
We can provide as much or as little help as you wish with all aspects of probate and administering an estate. We consider how assets can be protected for the future, whether tax can be saved and try to prevent families from falling out.
You don’t have to use a solicitor to administer an estate and deal with Probate however here are just some of the ways in which we can really help you:
- We can sometimes save considerable sums of tax and better protect assets for the future by reviewing a Will (after someone has died), or the Intestacy Rules if there is no Will. A ‘Deed of Variation’ should always be considered.
- We are independent, neutral and have an overriding obligation to act in our clients best interests, we can save families from falling out and ending up in Court. Families are increasingly complex with multiple marriages and children from previous relationships. Property values have increased significantly over recent years and estates often involve more than one property, foreign assets, businesses and agricultural property. We ensure that estates are properly and fairly administered and that all available tax reliefs are maximised.
- We are skilled at negotiating with HMRC and The District Valuer to ensure no one pays more tax than is appropriate. We have challenged HMRC and won some important victories for our clients.
- We deal with the property aspects of an estate that require a legal expert.
- We understand and explain the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities that executors and trustees face. We help you avoid uninsured personal liability – beneficiaries are keen to take executors to Court when things go wrong.
- We use the latest technology to make estate administration efficient and transparent. We are always available to answer questions and provide updates.
- Not being emotionally involved is important. Our approach is sensitive but you need us to be business like.
- For some people all paperwork is a nightmare. You can come and talk to us without obligation. Initial meetings are always free of charge and after that we will always agree a fair fee with you for the work involved.
Please contact us to arrange an initial meeting without charge. We look forward to helping you and working with you.
“Helped greatly with the complicated administration of a relative’s estate. Very professional and caring”.
“I found McKenzie Law have been amazing in this very difficult time. They have been helpful and approachable explaining everything in simple terms”.